the three fall
sage infused simple syrup.. need i say more?
See, even Maddy knows where its at! Kidding.. pup just loves to be photographed. Like, loves it. Totally not the point of this post though, so I am moving on.
THIS COCKTAIL, my friends. It is SO simple, but packs a huge punch in the taste/presentation/something special department. And you're talking to a girl who doesn't drink Bourbon straight. I know, I know.. I'm not that cool. But I really like Bourbon like this and I am 1000% sure you will, too. Let me know what you think! Preferably after you drink one. Or two or three. It would be awesome to hear your opinion then. Ha!
bourbon with sage infused simple syrup
for the honey and sage infused simple syrup*
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 10 fresh sage leaves
for the cocktail
- 1 1/2 to 2 ounces Kentucky bourbon
- honey and sage infused simple syrup
- 1 sprig fresh sage
1. In a pot over high heat, bring water, honey, and sage to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove sage.
2. Once the syrup has cooled, fill a lowball glass or a short mason jar with ice.
3. Pour bourbon over ice and top off with the simple syrup. -Or- If you happen to be with my dad or any other straight whiskey drinkers, add a few tablespoons! This simple syrup is not sweetly strong by any means, but the ability to make it your own is always a plus. Stir and garnish with sage.
* The syrup recipe makes enough for 3 to 4 drinks, easily. And depending on your crowd, . Store any remaining syrup in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Optional Tip: If you want to add some acid to the mix- you can squeeze some orange peel over the bourbon to release the oils and place the peel in the glass.